Ensuring Your Safety: Headlight and Wiper Replacement – Part 1
Safety is generally our main concern when it comes to driving. Three very important safety aspects of our vehicles are the wipers, headlights, and signals. If any or all of these features are not working or not working well, you need to get them repaired or replaced as soon as possible.
You will know when your wipers, signals, and headlights are not working when your:
- Wipers are chattering or streaking
- Signal is blinking rapidly
- Lights are dimming
Some of these repairs are simple enough that you can do them yourself. Headlight replacement is one of those. The following instructions will guide you through the process:
For seal beam headlights:
- Make sure the headlights are off.
- From the front of the vehicle, remove the screws, trim, or retaining rims holding the headlight in place.
- Now, pull the old headlight out as gentle as possible and unplug the electrical connecter in the back.
- Plug the connecter into the new headlight and place it back in. Make sure it’s fitted properly before turning them on.
- Check to see if they are aimed correctly by shining them on a building or wall.
For halogen bulbs:
- Again, make sure the lights are off. Then, read your vehicles owner manual to see how the bulb should be removed.
- With some vehicles, there is a retainer ring that turns counter clockwise, about 90 degrees. With other vehicles you simply need to turn the bulb itself.
- After loosening the ring (if applicable), remove the bulb by grabbing the base, NOT the glass itself. Remove the electrical connector and connect it to the new bulb.
- Making sure the bulb is flush and placed properly, turn or use the ring to fasten it. Then check to see it works.
Changing out your fading headlights is not as difficult as you may think. However, keep in mind that every vehicle is different, and you may find these instructions irrelevant to your particular headlight system. You can always bring your vehicle to Turnpike Tire & Auto if you find you need assistance! Make you appointment today!